Wednesday, June 13, 2012

22-year-old Suspect In Auburn's Triple Murder Held Without Bail In Alabama

Desmonte D. Leonard

Murder suspect turned himself in to U.S. Marshals on Tuesday, the Auburn Police Department reported.

By H. Nelson Goodson
June 13, 2012

Auburn, Alabama - On Tuesday, at approximately 7:57 p.m. Desmonte D. Leonard, 22, turned himself in without incident to U.S. Marshals at the Federal Court House in Montgomery, Alabama, the Auburn Police Department reported. Leonard's surrender was negotiated by his defense attorney Susan James. James and the U.S. Marshals Service were able to agree that Leonard would turn himself in without any incident to assure a safe surrender. Media was not invited to record Leonard's surrender to federal authorities.
Leonard was transported from there to the Montgomery County Facility where he is currently being held without bond. He is charged with three counts of Capital murder and two counts of Assault in 2nd Degree.
On Saturday night, Leonard allegedly open fire with a weapon inside a University Heights apartment and hit multiple victims resulting from a dispute over a woman. When police arrived on the scene they located multiple gunshot victims. The victims were identified as Edward J. Christian, 20, of Valdosta, Georgia who was pronounced dead at the scene by Lee County Coroner Bill Harris. Two others, Ladarious K. Phillips, 20, of Roanoke, Alabama, and Demario A. Pitts, 20, of Opelika, Alabama, were taken to the East Alabama Medical Center (EAMC) where they were later pronounced dead.
Three additional victims, Xavier D. Moss, 19, and John Q. Robertson, 20, both of Roanoke, Alabama, and Eric R. Mack, 20, of Cameron, South Carolina, were also taken to the EAMC for treatment of gunshot wounds. Moss was treated and released, while Mack was admitted to EAMC and Robertson was transferred to UAB Hospital in Birmingham, Alabama for treatment, according to police.
Both Christian and Phillips who died were former football players for Auburn University and Mack, a surviver is still listed as a football player at the university.
On Monday, Jeremy S. Thomas, 18, and Gabriel Thomas, 41, both of Montgomery were taken into custody in Montgomery by police on warrants for Hindering Prosecution in the 1st Degree. They are two of the three subpects, along with Leonard, who fled the scene following Saturday night shooting on West Drive.

Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile

No comments: