Saturday, February 13, 2016

60 Inmates Reported Dead At Topo Chico Prison Riot In Monterrey, Mexico

Family members of murdered inmates break into prison looking for confirmation of love ones killed at the Top Chico state prison riots.

By H. Nelson Goodson
Hispanic News Network U.S.A.

February 13, 2016

Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico - The Nuevo León State Attorney General's office (NLPGR) reported that at least 60 inmates were killed and 12 were wounded. A preliminary list of 49 inmates reported killed was released by the NLPGR.
The prison houses about 3,800 inmates including females and the riots broke out on early Thursday between Los Zetas and the Gulf Cartel members imprisoned for various crimes including murder. 
The inmates set fire to a prison warehouse building and then began to fight each other using makeshift knives. No gunfire was reported during the prison riot.
Hundreds of family members arrived at the prison entrance and forced their way into the prison to look for their inmate relatives, according to prison authorities.

Friday, February 12, 2016

Crystal City Mayor Ricardo Lopez Resigned Over Recall Petition And Federal Public Corruption Indictment

The Crystal City Clerk has verified a recall petition against three city officials including Mayor Lopez.

By H. Nelson Goodson
Hispanic News Network U.S.A.

February 12, 2016

Crystal City, Texas - On Friday, Ricardo Lopez, the Mayor of Crystal City and Councilman Roel Mata resigned shortly after the Crystal City Clerk's office verified recall petition signatures to recall Mayor Lopez, 40, Mayor Pro-tem and Councilman Rogelio G. Mata, 43, and Councilman Marco A. Rodriguez. Rodriguez who was arrested last month for human trafficking and Mata have yet to resign and will face a recall election to oust them from office. The three city officials were among five who were indicted by a federal grand jury for bribery and public corruption charges while in office. Two other city officials who were also indicted are Councilman Roel Mata, 44, and City Manager and Attorney William James Jonas III, 54. Former Councilman Gilbert Urrabazo, 45, and businessman Ngoc Tri Nguyen, 38, aka, "Mr. T," a contractor and business man were indicted as well for bribery and corruption charges.
KSAT 12 reported that Selina Ramos, the City Clerk had refused Mayor Lopez to sign the City Council agenda to make it official. Ramos also left her office and refused to meet with media over the controversy. Lopez says, the City agenda needed to be signed by him in order to become official. Police later confronted Mayor Lopez and told him not to contact Ramos until she contacts him. Police neither Ramos explained if they had a court order barring Mayor Lopez and the Council from conducting a meeting causing chaos at City Hall on Friday. Lopez intended to resign after the Council meeting. Councilman Joel Barrajas is the only one who hasn't been indicted for bribery charges.
Last Thursday, the FBI raided City Hall in Crystal City resulting with the arrest of four City officials including Mayor Lopez, Mayor Pro-Tem Mata,  City Councilman Roel Mata and Interim City Manager and Attorney Jonas III, also taken into custody were former City Councilman Urrabazo and businessman Nguyen in connection with taking bribes to help Nguyen, a contractor to establish 8-liner gaming rooms around Crystal City and providing city tax waivers, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Western District of Texas. The 8-liner gaming operation paid players in cash and the gambling operation is illegal in Texas.
Rogelio, Lopez and Roel were taken into custody in Crystal City, Jonas and Urrabazo were arrested in San Antonio and Nguyen was arrested in Keller, Texas.
Each of the defendants were charged with one felony count each for conspiracy to commit bribery involving an entity receiving over $10,000 in federal funds, in addition, Jonas was charged with three counts for bribery, Rogelio, Roel, Urrabazo, Lopez and Ngugen were charged with one felony count each for bribery. If convicted, each defendant is facing up to 10 years in a federal prison and up to $250,000 in fines for each count.
The FBI also raided the San Antonio office of attorney Jonas to search for evidence connected to the bribing and gaming operation. Jonas who earns $216K in salary per year as the Crystal City Manager allegedly took money from Nguyen in exchange to help facilitate the gaming operation in Crystal City.
The FBI, San Antonio Police, the Texas Rangers and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection took part in the joint gaming operation bust.
According to the unsealed indictment against the defendants named in the case, the defendants began to conspire to commit favorable action to award city service contracts valued at more than $12,000 to Nguyen beginning in April 2015. Nguyen in return paid Jonas up to $7,791, Urrabazo $2,000, Roel Mata $$2,000, Mayor Lopez received $6,000 to purchase a vehicle and Rogelio Mata up to $500.
The city officials indicted conspired and acted to "waived certain tax payments" for Nguyen and directed Crystal City employees "to close competing businesses and to conduct City inspections to benefit Nguyen," according to the federal indictment.

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Elpidio "Juan" Contreras Sentenced To 61 Years In Prison For Sexual Assault Of A Child

Chicago former Spanish television personality for El Show de Juan Contreras gets 61 years in prison for sexually violating at least three girls under the age of 13.

By H. Nelson Goodson
Hispanic News Network U.S.A.

February 10, 2016

Chicago, IL - On Wednesday, Cook County Judge Lawrence Flood sentenced Elpidio "Juan" Contreras, 56, former host of the popular television "Show de Juan Contreras" to 61 years in prison for multiple felony counts including predatory criminal sexual assault, aggravated criminal sexual assault and aggravated criminal sexual abuse of a child under the age of 13, Anita Alvarez, the Cook County State's Attorney reported. The sexual assaults of the young victims happened between 1994 to 2013, according to Cook County Court records. Contreras was convicted for molesting four girls, one was as young as 9-years-old, 11 and the another at 13.
Contreras was accused of repeatedly touching the 11-year-old girl's genitals, taking topless photos of her and photos in a bikini while she was taking singing lessons from him at his Hermosa neighborhood office. Another girl says that he took pictures of her while undress and had fondled her when he was teaching her how to ride a bicycle. Contreras also engaged in acts of sexual penetration with some of the victims.
Contreras, a popular TV host has been in the music business for 20 years and was the producer and conductor of his Spanish language program aired on Saturday's on TV Azteca America WJYS Channel 62.4 in the Chicago area.

Kidnapped Reporter Anabel Flores Salazar's Body Identified By Family

Family members have identified a body found along a highway as Salazar, a kidnapped journalist.

By H. Nelson Goodson
Hispanic News Network U.S.A.

February 10, 2016

Tehuacán Puebla.Veracruz, Mexico - The body of Anabel Flores Salazar, 32, has been identified by family members, according to the Veracruz Attorney General's office. Salazar, a freelance reporter for El Sol de Orizaba and former reporter for El Buen Tono was found dead along the Cuacnopalan-Oaxaca highway near the municipality of Tehuacán Puebla.
Salazar was abducted on Monday around 2:00 a.m. from her home in the municipality of Mariano Escobedo in Veracruz by a commando militia group of armed men. The armed men wearing military clothing told family members that they had a warrant for her arrest and then took her. Her body was found on Tuesday in the neighboring state of Puebla partially dressed with feet and hands tied behind her back and showed signs of torture.
El Buen Tono reported that Salazar was dismissed about eight months ago and was no longer connected with the newspaper. The newspaper administration became suspicious that Salazar was driving a 2015 Patriot SUV when she wasn't earning enough salary to afford the SUV and had connections with organized crime.  El Sol de Orizaba confirmed that Salazar was a freelance crime reporter for the last six months.
Salazar was suspected to having a relationship with a known criminal. The Mexican military in Acultzingo on August 30, 2014 arrested Victor Osorio Santacruz, aka, "El Pantera" who was accompanied by Salazar at the time of the arrest.
At least 6 journalists including Salazar had reported to authorities that they had received threats by unknown persons for reporting about crime. Several newspapers have suspended all crime reporting as a result of the threats and Salazar's homicide.
Salazar is survived by two children including a recent birth of a child.

Monday, February 8, 2016

Carjacker Whooped And Knocked Out By Milwaukee Southside Vigilantes

Vigilantes who were not identified apparently beat, then partially stripped an alleged would be carjacker to his underwear, socks and knocked him down on the freezing snowy ground as nearby neighbors watched and took photos.

By H. Nelson Goodson
Hispanic News Network U.S.A.

February 8, 2016
(Updated)

Milwaukee, WI - On Monday, a suspected carjacker was left behind after a failed attempt to steal a caravan in Milwaukee's Southside. Several photos appeared on the social network showing an alleged carjacker who got a beating, knocked down and left on the snowy ground (sidewalk) partially unclothed.
According to a FB posting of a nextdoor neighbor of the intended carjacking victim, at least three Afro-Americans in a greenish or bluish Cavalier tried to steal a caravan around 1:50 p.m. near the 3200 block of W. Madison Street and a vigilante or vigilantes intervened and were able to beat up one of the car thieves.
The vigilantes then chased the suspects across the S. 35th St. Viaduct heading north, according to FB postings.
Police were notified after the suspect's photo began to circulate on FB. The suspect was arrested and police have initiated an investigation of the attempted Southside carjacking.

Update: On Tuesday, Hispanic News Network U.S.A. (HNNUSA) who first reported the incident on Monday was contacted by the Milwaukee Police Department (MPD) regarding the attempted carjacking incident at the 3200 block of W. Madison Street. Two alleged auto thief suspects have been taken into custody and one other man (vigilante) who arrived at the scene and took advantage of a detained suspect by the victim and battered the suspect is sought for battery by Milwaukee police.
Milwaukee Police Sergeant Timothy Gauerke from the Chief of Police Office released the following statement, "Milwaukee Police are investigating an attempted auto theft that happened on Monday, February 8th, around 1:50 p.m. in the 3200 block of W. Madison Street.  The victim observed two suspects in his vehicle attempting to steal it.  He confronted the suspects who fled.  The suspects attempted to enter a get-away vehicle and one of the suspects was successful.  The second suspect was confronted and punched by the victim.  The second suspect continued to flee on foot.   A witness attempted to detain the second suspect, grabbed him by the pants pulling them off, as the second suspect climbed a fence and continued to flee.  Shortly after, an unknown person battered the second suspect and posted it to Facebook.  MPD is working to determine who battered the second suspect.
"The second suspect, who is a 15-year-old Milwaukee male, has since been arrested and suffered a minor injury during this incident.  Once the investigation is complete the case will be referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s office for charges against the 15-year-old for attempted motor vehicle theft, and the person responsible for battering the suspect."

Sunday, February 7, 2016

WI Governor Scott Walker Signs Conceal Carry Switchblade Into Law

Wisconsin citizens can now be able to carry a concealed switchblade in the state.

By H. Nelson Goodson
Hispanic News Network U.S.A.

February 7, 2016

Weston, WI - On Saturday, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker (R) signed into law Assembly Bill 142, the bill allows anyone who can legally own a firearm in the state to carry a concealed switchblade or knife of any length without a permit. Governor Walker signed the bill at the National Association Rifle Association (NRA) and the Wisconsin Firearm Owners, Ranges, Clubs and Educators, Inc. (Wisconsin FORCE) convention, a NRA chartered association.
The bill prohibits local governments to enact any ordinances or regulations stricter than the state law.
"Wisconsin citizens have the fundamental right to defend themselves and feel safe and secure in their homes and we remain committed to protecting those rights," Governor Walker said.  "One of the first steps we took in office was signing concealed carry and Castle Doctrine legislation into law.  We will continue to protect those freedoms and ensure that those who wish to exercise their Constitutional right to buy and sell firearms lawfully in the state of Wisconsin are able to do so."
According to Governor Walker, Assembly Bill 142 – as amended, repeals the prohibition on manufacturing, selling, transporting, purchasing or possessing a switchblade knife.  Additionally, the bill would prohibit political subdivisions from enacting ordinances or adopting resolutions that regulate knives more stringently than state law.  While no local ordinances can be written regulating knives in general, they can pass a local ordinance regulating them in municipally-owned buildings.  The bill would also allow a person to carry a concealed knife, unless that person is prohibited from possessing a firearm under state law.  Finally, the bill would provide that a person may not be convicted of disorderly conduct for concealed or openly carrying a knife, unless other facts and circumstances indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of that person.  Authored by Representative Kathleen Bernier (R–Chippewa Falls) and Senator Terry Moulton (R–Chippewa Falls), the bill passed the Assembly on a voice vote and was concurred by the Senate on a voice vote.  It is Act 149.
In a press release, Wisconsin FORCE thanked Governor Walker for attending their annual meeting and signing Assembly Bill 142 . The bill eliminates unnecessary burdens on the use of humankind's first tool -- one carried by Wisconsinites across the state on a daily basis.  The annual meeting is held as part of the NRA/Wisconsin FORCE State Convention held in Weston, Wisconsin.  The signing was also attended by Senator Tiffany, Judge Bradley, and Doug Ritter, chairman and founder of the nationally recognized organization, KnifeRights.
The fact that opening any knife will never be as fast as the more common fixed blade knife needs no explanation. Carrying a knife that needs to be opened in many cases is necessary or desirable to allow the efficient, practical use of this indispensable tool. 
Use, not irrational fear, should determine law.  When the intent is to harm or defend, the list of everyday, commonly used items is limitless.  Use, not design, makes almost anything a weapon. The activity that causes harm is what should be punished.
Wisconsin FORCE also thanked Governor Walker, Representative Bernier, Representative Kleefisch, Senator Moulton, Senator Wanggaard, KnifeRights, and many others for their work to ensure that Wisconsinites are not burdened by irrational state or local knife use restrictions. 

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Jonathan Aponte Santiago Charged For Multiple Armed Robberies And Facing 452 Years In Prison

Aponte Santiago has been charged with 11 felony counts for armed robbery and one count for 1st-degree reckless endangering safety, if convicted on all counts he is facing up to 452 years in prison.

By H. Nelson Goodson
Hispanic News Network U.S.A.

February 6, 2016

Milwaukee, WI - On Saturday, Jonathan Aponte Santiago, 22, was charged with 11 felony counts for armed robbery and one felony count for 1st-degree endangering safety in connection with multiple armed robberies in Milwaukee's Southside. Aponte Santiago is facing up to 40 years in prison and $100,000 fine for each armed robbery count and up to 12 years in prison and $25,000 in fines for reckless endangering of safety. A cash bail was set at $150,000 for Aponte Santiago, but a hold has been place, so he can't be bailed out.
Last Wednesday, at least 30 victims came forward and identified the kleptorobber as Aponte Santiago, who for several weeks terrorized local businesses by robbing them including patrons, in several occasions discharged his weapon inside bars, was wanted for an armed carjacking and shooting a 22-year-old Denny's waiter. His last armed robbery happened at Chivas Bar, 644 S. 9th Street around 2:20 a.m. on January 31. The suspect drank several beers, robbed the bar including the patrons, then fired at least three gunshots at a camera surveillance monitor missing a bartender by one inch and then fled. No one was injured.
Police told the Chivas Bar owner that his bar's surveillance footage of the armed robbery was clear and very instrumental in arresting the suspect.
Aponte Santiago allegedly robbed the Backdraught Bar at the 3600 block of S. Clement Ave., the Last Drop Restaurant at the 1900 block of S. 15th Street and Reynas Bar at the 600 block of W. Harrison in the Southside. About 14 patrons were inside Reynas Bar at the time of the robbery.
Aponte Santiago not only robbed the cash register at businesses, but customers too, according to business patrons. 
On January 28, Aponte Santiago walked into a Denny's Restaurant at the 4900 block of S. Howell Ave. around 3:15 a.m. and stole an undetermined amount of money from the cash register. Aponte Santiago also shot a 22-year-old victim who works at Denny's as a waiter and was taken to a local hospital for treatment of a non-life threatening gunshot wound, according to police.
At least ten people were inside the restaurant at the time of the robbery. Aponte Santiago shot the 22-year-old waiter in the arm and then left. The victim will be out of work for at least two weeks while recovering from the gun shot wound. He worked for tips and Aponte Santiago took $150.00 from him, according to the victim's mother. Aponte Santiago held a gun on the victim's head and the victim struggled with Aponte Santiago when he was shot.
Aponte Santiago was also involved in several other robberies and a carjacking as well, he robbed a business at the 2500 block of S. 6th Street at 1:20 a.m., then went to a second business at the 2000 block of S. 8th Street at 1:35 a.m. and demanded money. After receiving money, he fled on foot.
At about 2:00 a.m., Aponte Santiago pulled a gun at a 28-year-old man and stole his 2002 Isuzu Axiom. Aponte Santiago then fled in the vehicle and later robbed the Denny's Restaurant on S. Howell Ave.

Additional Southside Milwaukee businesses that Aponte Santiago robbed while armed are;

● Class Reunion Bar, 2204 W. Forest Home Ave.

● George Webb's Restaurant, 2028 W. Mitchell Street

● Marathon Gas Station, 1227 W. Oklahoma Ave.

● Park Place Sports Bar, 2079 S. 8th Street

● Stripes Bar, 3101 S. 15th Place