Monday, November 18, 2013

Dickerson-Hendricks Charged For Resisting Arrested At Children's Hospital

Ashanti Dickerson-Hendricks

Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. says, there was a breakdown of law enforcement communications between the Milwaukee Police Department and his department, including the Wauwatosa Police Department and the Children's Hospital administration and security.

By H. Nelson Goodson
November 18, 2013

Milwaukee, WI - On Monday, Ashanti Dickerson-Anderson, 22, was charged with two felony counts for bail jumping, one count for felon possession of a firearm and one count for obstructing and resisting an officer. If convicted, Hendricks is facing up to 23 years in prison, according to court records.
Milwaukee County Sheriff David A. Clarke Jr. told Fox6Now, that he wants the incident at the hospital investigated. He strongly believed that a breakdown of communications occurred between the Milwaukee Police Department who first responded to take Hendricks into custody and his department, including others. Sheriff Clarke claims that his department has officers at the hospital and they weren't notified of an attempted arrest of Hendricks by Milwaukee police. Also left out of the law enforcement communications were the Wauwatosa Police Department and both the administrators and security at the hospital who weren't notified that Milwaukee police were trying to arrest Hendricks who was believed armed and was wanted on a felony warrant.
Clarke said, a call came in that there was an "active shooter" and not a call that "officers need backup, shots fired," which each call would have been handled differently. He wants answers, to why there was a breakdown of law enforcement communications at the Children's Hospital incident, according to Fox6Now.
Clarke confirmed, that in Milwaukee County alone there are 10,000  active warrants.
Last week, Hendricks was taken into custody after he grabbed a two month old infant inside the Newborn Progressive Care Unit on the 7th floor of the Children's Hospital in Wauwatosa. He was visiting and holding his baby when Milwaukee Police Officers Acosta and Thompson attempted to serve a warrant at the neo-natal premature care unit. Police say, they got a tip from a woman that Hendricks was at the hospital visiting his only child and that he was currently wanted and possibly armed. 
Just before noon Officer's Acosta and Thompson were dispatched to take him into custody. The baby's mother apparently believed Hendricks was going to kill his child. But, Hendricks father told reporters that the infant was his son's only child and wouldn't harm him.
The officers arrived at the hospital unit and Officer Acosta told Hendricks that he had a warrant and was under arrest. Hendricks was holding his baby and seemed to cooperate with police. He put down his child and then darted out of the unit.
Hendricks then pulled out a weapon when cornered in a nearby hallway. Hendricks pointed a .40 Cal. Glock at both Acosta and Thompson and failed to lower his weapon when ordered by the officers to do so. Milwaukee Police Officer Acosta fired several shots striking Hendricks in the arm and wrist. Hendricks eventually dropped the weapon.
Hendricks was taken to Froedtert Hospital for treatment and was placed in custody. He was wanted on a felony conviction warrant for possession of a weapon by a felon, eluding police and a drug charge, according to court records. Hendricks failed to show up for his sentencing several weeks ago and a warrant was issued.
Milwaukee police are being criticized about their attempt to take Hendricks into custody inside the Children's Hospital by Hendricks family members. Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, that it "was not a situation where a guy came in to shoot somebody."
Milwaukee Police Chief Edward Flynn defended the action taken by his officers who were serving a warrant at the newborn Children's Hospital unit. An investigation had been initiated to see, if Milwaukee police acted properly to arrest Hendricks at the Children's Hospital.
Officers from Wauwatosa Police Department and deputies from the Milwaukee County Sheriff's Office also responded to the incident. The Children's Hospital was locked down for nearly several hours, according to police.

No comments: