Friday, April 19, 2013

Second Boston Bomber Taken Alive In Watertown, Manhunt Ends

Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev and Tamerlan Tsarnaev

19-year-old Boston bomber taken into custody by police in Watertown.

By H. Nelson Goodson
April 19, 2013

Watertown, Mass. - On Friday, the last remaining Boston bomber, Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, was located at a home at 67 Franklin Street. He was surrounded by police after 20 to 30 shots were fired.
A man called police after noticing blood on the ground and on a tarp covering a 24-foot boat near a garage. Police arrived about 6:50 p.m. and found Dzhokhar hiding in the boat, which had a cover. He was taken into custody after the area was sweep for bombs. Boston Police sent out a message, "CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody."
Dzhokhar had escaped capture by police after his brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, was killed in a shootout after midnight at a neighborhood in Watertown. Both brothers were wanted by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in connection with Monday's Boston Marathon bombings that killed three people. They were identified as  Krystle Campbell, 29, of Arlington, Mass.; Martin Richard, 8, of Dorchester, Mass. and Lingzi Lu, 23, also known as Dorothy Lu, a Chinese national from Shenyang and injured 176 others, 17 of those injured had their limbs amputated. 
The FBI believes Dzhokhar might have left Boston, since a seven hour door to door search in Watertown yield no evidence he was still hiding in the area. Authorities lifted a shutdown of the city and people began to come out of their homes and businesses opened.
A nationwide manhunt continued in an attempt to locate and capture Dzhokhar.
Federal authorities confiscated a computer belonging to one of the Tsarnaev's brothers and are investigating whether the bombing suspects had accomplices or ties with foreign terror groups.

Boston bomber Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev, 19, spotted in boat and later taken into custody by police.

No comments: