Thursday, January 19, 2012

Brunn Commits Suicide In Georgia Prison Just Days After Getting Life For Killing 7-year-old Jorelys Rivera

Ryan McCabe Brunn

Brunn found unresponsive in Jackson state prison cell and Canton's Police Chief Jeff Lance resigned in wake of independent critical report that claimed, the Canton Police Department violated policies, procedures and mishandled Jorelys Rivera's disappearance case.

By H. Nelson Goodson
January 19, 2012

Jackson, Georgia - On Thursday, convicted child killer Ryan McCabe Brunn, 20, was found unresponsive at 4:15 p.m. in his cell at the Jackson state prison. He was later pronounced dead at 5:37 p.m. at a local hospital. Brunn pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life in prison without the possiblity of parole on Tuesday for the abduction, enticement, molestation and murder of Jorelys Rivera, 7, on December 2.
Brunn was sent to the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison in Jackson located in Butts County to begin serving his life term sentence. Brunn's death was confirmed by Kristen Stancil, spokeswoman for the Georgia Department of Corrections. Stancil did not say how Brunn died, but prison sources say he apparently hanged himself. A prison guard found Brunn hanging in his cell and showed no signs of life after attempts were made to resuscitate Brunn.
Brunn was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead, according to Stancil. Stancil did not say, if Brunn was put under a suicide watch monitoring when he first arrived at the Jackson prison.
Also on Thursday, Canton Police Chief Jeff Lance resigned after a independent investigative report by the LaGrange Police Department found that the Canton Police Department violated their own policies, procedures and handling of the case during the initial investigation into Jorelys Rivera's disappearance. The 19-page report stated, the Canton Police Department lacked leadership in the initial hours of Rivera's disappearance, citing former Chief Lance could not be found during the first 17 hours of Rivera's disappearance making it seem that Rivera's disappearance was a routine run away investigation.
Lance later showed up and then watched a Georgia football game at the police command center. The good thing the report indicated that police presence in the area where Rivera disappeared kept Brunn from getting rid of the body, according to Scott Woods, Canton City Manager.
Brunn having second thoughts added a note to a dumpster where he hid and compressed Rivera's body several times with the garbage. The note led police to find Rivera's body in the dumpster on December 7, next to the apartment building where she was last seen playing near a playground. Brunn worked as a maintence man at the building.
Woods told reporters, that Wednesday's Canton Police Department report led to Lance's resignation and that it was a mutual decision by both Lance and Woods. Woods wished Lance well in his future endeavers and said, that Canton's Assistant Police Chief Todd Vande Zande will serve as interim chief until a permanent chief is hired.
The City of Canton in Georgia is reviewing the police report and policy changes will be made in the Canton Police Department, according to Woods.

Connected by MOTOBLUR™ on T-Mobile

No comments: