Sunday, August 5, 2012

Sikh Temple President In Oak Creek Killed By Lone Gunman

Satwant Singh Kaleka

Family photo

Seven reported killed including the gunman at a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin.

By H. Nelson Goodson
August 5, 2012

Oak Creek, WI - On Sunday, family members confirmed that Savant Singh Kaleka, the president of the Sikh Temple had been fatally shot by a lone suspect. Kaleka confronted and struggled with an armed suspect just after 10:15 a.m. in the temple's parking lot.
The suspect managed to shoot Kaleka in the back and Kaleka later died as a result of his injuries.
Local police and the FBI responded to the deadly shooting crime scene at the Sikh Temple, located at 7512 S. Howell Ave. A White male suspect went to the temple after 10:15 a.m. and opened fire killing six victims, including Kaleka and another man in the parking lot. 
Two children were outside and saw the shooting incident. They both ran inside the temple to warned others. 
A man arriving at the temple in a taxi was immediately shot by the suspected gunman. The suspect afterwards went inside and killed four other people in the temple.
Three victims were confirmed injured, including an officer. At least 100 people were attending a peaceful Sunday sermon by a guest from India. The guest (considered a saint) was also reported killed and three priests were shot at the scene. A high priest managed to escape from the shooting scene.
Several Oak Creek officers responding to the scene after 10: 20 a.m. were confronted by the gunman who shot at one officer trying to help a victim. The officer was shot multiple times in an ambush. A second officer at the scene returned fire and killed the gunman in the parking lot. The injured officer is in critical condition and is expected to survive, according to Chief Brad Wentlandt, from the Greenfield Police Department.
Three injured victims, including an officer were taken to Froedtert hospital for treatment. The victims were reported in critical condition.
S.W.A.T. members went inside the temple and secure the temple. Oak Creek Police Chief John Edwards confirmed that it was a domestic terrorist act by a lone suspect.
The suspect from Cudahy lived in the 3700 block of E. Holmes Ave. where federal investigators secured his upper duplex apartment. A federal search warrant has been issued and the feds will return to the apartment on Monday, according to Teresa Carlson, FBI agent in charge. The FBI has taken over the investigation.

From my Android phone on T-Mobile. The first nationwide 4G network.

No comments: