Monday, July 27, 2015

Former Milwaukee Candidate For Alderman Michael Lutz Dies Of Apparent Suicide

A SWAT team confronted Lutz at his Menomonee Falls residence on Sunday, then he took his own life, according to the Milwaukee Medical Examiner's Office.

By H. Nelson Goodson
Hispanic News Network U.S.A.

July 27, 2015

Menomonee Falls, WI - On Sunday, practicing attorney Michael W. Lutz, 44, a retired Milwaukee Police Department officer and a candidate for Milwaukee Alderman in the 19th District apparently died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound just after 4:00 a.m. while facing a SWAT team at his residence in the 12300 block of W. Mill Road. 
An autopsy is scheduled for Monday, according to the Medical Examiner's Office.
Lutz didn't survive the July 21st Primary Election, he got fourth place.
Lutz retired shortly after getting injured in the arm as a police officer in a special unit while he and his partner rushed into a Southside building after a drug dealer, Tony Payano then 23 on October 2005. Lutz was criticized for not waiting for backup and was later hailed a hero for his injuries by Mayor Tom Barrett at the time.
Payano was convicted for shooting at Lutz and was sentenced to 12 1/2 years in prison.
Shortly afterwards, it was learned that a citizen complaint was filed against Officer Lutz with the Fire and Police Commission prior to the shooting incident. The complaint accused then Officer Lutz of intimidating a witness. The Milwaukee Police Department conducted an internal investigation about Lutz intimidating a citizen after he filed a citizen's complaint against Lutz.
Apparently, Lutz and another officer stopped the complaining witness in the Southside after learning he was the target of a filed citizen complaint with the Fire and Police Commission. 
Lutz made the mistake of signing the citation given to the complaining witness at the time of the initial stop, confirming that Lutz had actually intimidated him. Intimidating a witness or complaining witness is a felony in Wisconsin. Lutz was never charged with a felony, but didn't returned to police duty and retired.

No comments: